Since its founding in the early 1990s, the Rainwater Charitable Foundation (RCF or Foundation) has focused on helping vulnerable children in the United States, believing that high-quality education can transform the life trajectories of children and families. A second focus area is medical research in neurodegenerative diseases (specifically tauopathies) with the ultimate goal of finding a cure for these diseases. Employing the same strategies that the late Richard Rainwater used for investing, the Foundation seeks out successful programs around the country with proven, measurable success, strong leadership and the ability to scale for greater impact.
RCF is the largest education funder in the North Texas region and one of the largest foundations in Texas. Current significant projects being funded include the Tau Consortium, the PSP genetics consortium, a new research prize program, the Fort Worth Children’s Partnership, early childhood education, principal preparation and parent education initiatives.
For more information: http://www.rainwatercharitablefoundation.org/
II. The Role
The COA works closely with RCF staff and RCF Trustees to support all aspects of the foundation’s operations. The foundation seeks a strong individual with excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills. Ideal candidates will have a minimum of five years of experience in a professional setting including communications experience. The successful candidate will be a self-starter with attention to detail as well as a collaborative colleague who can work effectively in a small and dynamic office with opportunities for advancement. The Communications and Operations Associate will report directly to the Grants Manager/Director of Program Operations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the RCF websites are up-to date
- Maintaining integrated communication platforms such as MailChimp including keeping distribution lists up to date, preparing content and monitoring data and insights
- Assisting Foundation program staff with developing content for external communications such as press releases or internal communications such as grant outcomes and evaluations
- Assisting with general correspondence, requests for information, creation and updating of files and records including follow-up reports, etc.
- In conjunction with Grants Manager/Director of Program Operations, overseeing the annual report process - leading teams, coordinating with designers, ensuring schedule and budget are on track
- Checking firstname.lastname@example.org and forwarding or responding to messages as advised
- Maintaining other social media platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Assisting Grants Manager/Director of Program Operations to prepare grant paperwork as necessary
- Working on special writing and communication projects as needed
- Editing and proofreading communication materials
- Greeting visitors, allowing them access to waiting area, and letting the appropriate staff member know they have guests waiting. Assist guests such as serving beverages, parking validation and directions within the office
- Screening incoming foundation calls and routing them to proper location or scheduling appropriate response (scheduling meeting, taking notes on events, taking message, etc...)
- Signing for packages and letting addressee know they have a package
- Ordering and setting up catering needs for office and meetings
- Keeping office filing system (including digital filing) up-to-date and in order
- Mailing/shipping documents to trustees as necessary
General and Other Duties
- Coordinating foundation-wide projects and initiatives; managing ad hoc projects/reports such as 30-Year or other anniversary commemorations
- Coordinating special projects and events as assigned
- Assisting staff with meeting/call scheduling as needed
- Assisting/filling in for the Executive Assistant with tasks from time to time, which may include:
- Maintaining calendars for RCF Officers and other employees as needed
- Assisting with scheduling calls and coordinating requested meetings for Grants Manager/Director, RCF Trustees and other employees as needed
- Ensuring travel logistics are input into ED calendar including itineraries, maps, travel suggestions, with frequent traveler and hotel membership information confirmed
- Assisting with expense reports for ED and submitting through proper channels
- Preparing draft emails on behalf of ED to send to groups or for general communication
- Assisting staff with copying/scanning needs
- Backup for mail retrieval, sorting and distribution
- Backup for office supply/kitchen supply orders
- Backup for office maintenance projects, repairs, etc.
- Assisting officers and trustees with special projects
- Responding to email in a timely manner
- Demonstrating sensitivity to confidential matters
- Other duties as assigned
III. Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent oral communication skills, especially necessary in person and on the telephone, as the position entails a large amount of telephone and electronic communication
- Excellent written communication skills with great attention to grammar/detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to listen well and positively represent the organization and its mission
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects and stay on deadline
- Commitment and passion to the mission of the Rainwater Charitable Foundation
- A proven track record as an effective team member in a professional setting
- Extensive software skills (Word, Excel and PowerPoint and MS Outlook)
- Website maintenance experience
- Five years’ experience in media relations, journalism, communications or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English or related field preferred
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, noting “Communications and Operations Associate” in the subject line.