The Chief Development Officer will be responsible for fostering a culture of philanthropy within a new merged organization and will lead staff to implement strategic initiatives to grow contributed revenue. The position is responsible for designing and implementing an overall plan and methodology to secure approximately $1.7M in year one from a variety of sources, including individual, corporation, foundation, events, and government. This position reports directly to the CEO, while overseeing one full-time development and marketing professional.
Aspire is the result of a merger between Literacy Instruction for Texas (LIFT) and the Aberg Center for Literacy. The two organizations merged in July 2020 to offer expanded literacy services on a cradle-to-career continuum in Dallas, where one in four adults qualifies for literacy instruction and one in three children lives in poverty.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required. CFRE credentials preferred. Minimum of seven (7) years of experience working in the nonprofit sector with demonstrated ability to achieve and exceed fundraising goals of $1 million and above. Candidate will provide a track record of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth. Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge a plus.
Skills and Abilities
- Committed to the cause of eradicating illiteracy in Dallas and willing to be an advocate for the organization’s mission in the community.
- Comprehensive management skills, including but not limited to short and long-term planning, a commitment to consistent evaluation, the ability to effectively direct and motivate staff, an understanding of financial management, and integrity dealing with others both inside and outside of the organization.
- A breadth of experience within nonprofit philanthropy, including board management; research and cultivation practices; standard fundraising techniques like major gift solicitation, special events management, and direct mail; and development operations functions such as gift processing and reporting.
- Demonstrated experience and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money.
- A willingness to be a team player both within the development department and across the organization.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, handle multiple projects at the same time, and meet deadlines
- Must have a valid Texas driver's license with an acceptable driving record. Periodic travel may be necessary.
Send resume to: LindaJohnson@LIFT-Texas.org