Reports to: President/CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: The Chief Development and Public Relations Officer is responsible for the planning, development, implementation and oversight of the Organization’s fundraising and marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities, both external and internal. The Director Development and Public Relations is the brand steward of the organization ensuring that messaging to all constituencies is in alignment with that brand. He or she coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the overall functions of the Organization.
The individual in this position is also responsible for the development and execution of fundraising activities for the organization. Managing a Development Team of professionals, the Chief Development and Public Relations Officer oversees fundraising activities include the solicitation of general contributions, grant writing, special events, and is responsible for initiating public education/information activities, corporate partnerships and sponsors, cause related campaigns and planned giving. He or she is the lead person reporting to and working with the President/CEO in the formulation of strategies and implementation of those strategies that generate necessary financial resources for the agency. The individual in this role will manage a portfolio of major donors and also be responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of both annual and major donor prospects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following is a summary of duties and responsibilities (other duties may be assigned based upon organizational needs):
- Effectively manage and supervise a Development team of 3 to provide the delivery of revenue and resources needed for organizational success.
- Manage all organization marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, social media channels, web presence and partner acquisition.
- Develop, implement and oversee all scheduled electronic communications, in collaboration with the marketing consultant and Development Team.
- Work with the President/CEO and Board of Directors to develop a lasting, consistent and viable brand for the organization that sets a standard for all external and internal communications and marketing.
- Articulate the Organization’s desired image and position, assuring consistency in all communication to constituencies, both internal and external.
- Provide editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all Organization publications.
- Stimulate and coordinate media interest in the Organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Using the developed brand, implement all fundraising of the organization in alignment with the image and mission of the organization.
- Develop a long-term fundraising strategy to include:
- A vibrant annual campaign;
- Events designed to raise funds, engage new donors and to recognize and steward existing donors;
- Oversee efforts for corporate and foundation grants;
- Encourage and develop corporate sponsorships;
- Develop a planned and major gifts effort for the organization; and
- Seek to develop and maintain an extensive group of volunteers to assist with the identification and solicitation of donor prospects.
- Work closely with the President/CEO and when appropriate, the Fund Development Committee of the Board of Directors to enlist support in carrying out agency development and fundraising goals.
- Keep the CEO informed of all development activities.
- Secure speaking and community engagement opportunities for the President/CEO and help him to meet with high profile individuals, leaders, and to attend events and activities that increase organizational visibility.
- Promote the President/CEO as the face of the organization for key individual meetings and engagement with corporate, government and foundation leaders.
- Work with the President/CEO to increase public awareness, attitudes and understanding of people with disabilities and of the organization as a whole.
- Represent the organization in various community and professional organizations developing support for the agency.
- As a member of the senior management team, provide input on policy and procedure decisions.
- Attend meetings, participate in a proactive manner and complete assigned projects in a timely manner.
- Represent the President/CEO at special functions as directed.
- When the President and CEO is unavailable, serve as the Organization’s point of contact and spokesperson with the media.
- Work in close collaboration with the PR consultant to provide content for monthly releases.
- Coordinate activities across all social media channels with the development team, PR firm and Development Team.
- Responsible for website management and updates.
- Complete ROI Analysis for marketing expenditures twice annually.
- Create and manage the marketing and development budget for review and approval by CEO as part of annual budgeting process for review and approval by the Board of Directors.
This position reports to the President and CEO and serves as a member of the executive team.
The individual in this position participates with the Board of Directors, CEO and other management staff in charting the direction of the Organization, assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation.
Within the Organization, this position has primary working relationships with the
CEO, senior management team, the Development Team and service providers.
Outside the agency, the position coordinates with media and business partners.
- Reports suspicion of abuse or neglect immediately.
- Reports any unsafe working conditions immediately.
- Maintains client, donor, volunteer and staff confidentiality at all times.
- Follows standard precautions and other safety regulations at all times.
- Completes all necessary and requested training in a timely manner in accordance with shelter policy.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Participates in organization events as requested by Chief Executive Officer
- Performs other duties as requested by the Chief Executive Officer
- Bachelor’s degree from 4 year institution is required
- Degree in marketing, public relations or journalism is preferred
- Graduate degree in related field or commensurate experience is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising, development and portfolio management
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities
- Knowledge of and experience with fund raising guidelines and financial requirements
- Demonstrated writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated successful experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in communications across all media channels
- Demonstrated success in fundraising of both major and annual gifts
- Demonstrated success in team management and employee mentoring and support
- Experience in successful volunteer management
- Feels and expresses a genuine passion for supporting people with disabilities and helping families care for the person they love
- Supports Ability Connection’s mission and understands how it is organized and functions as a non-profit organization.
- Works equally well with paid staff members, clients and volunteers.
- Relates well to persons with varied backgrounds and beliefs.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of web design and related software.
- Proficient in MS applications, including Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of graphic design software
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
Physical Effort: Position requires sitting or standing for extended periods of time and speaking over the telephone. Travel to and from meetings is necessary
- Position is full-time and exempt
- Compensation commensurate with experience
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
I acknowledge that I have received and read my current job description and I agree to comply with such job descriptions and practices as a condition of my employment. I acknowledge that this job description supersedes all other job descriptions.
Please all interested applicants send your resume to Dochoa@abilityconnection.org