The Assistant to the Head of Upper School provides administrative support to and facilitates the smooth functioning of the Head of Upper School’s office. The administrative assistant organizes, coordinates, and performs administrative duties requiring independent judgment, discretion, and confidentiality. The Assistant to the Head of Upper School also serves as School Registrar.
Strong organizational and communication skills and a professional demeanor are essential to this position. The Assistant will be in frequent communication with faculty, students, administrators, parents, and alumni so that discretion, diplomacy, and courtesy are of the utmost importance.
This position requires an individual who can assess, prioritize, and synthesize varied requests. It will be important that this person enjoys both the details of the inner workings of the School and appreciates how the details inform the larger picture.
- Manage the Head of Upper School’s calendar/schedule and prepare materials for each appointment; field inquiries from and arrange for meetings with faculty, students, parents, and alumni; arrange travel; reserve meeting spaces; track meeting attendance.
- Prepare and manage the preparation of reports, briefing materials, correspondence, proposals, and related documents, draft memos, announcements, and correspondence for the Head of Upper School’s review and signature.
- Manage the Head of Upper School’s budget and submit expense reports.
- Responsible for the Blackbaud school calendar, posting events, and reserving spaces, as necessary.
- Manage the workflow, logistics, and paperwork for several student life initiatives, including Advisory and Character and Leadership programs.
- Review Head of Upper School’s mail as appropriate (electronic and postal) and respond to certain types of mail as his representative.
- Provide support in responding to incoming telephone calls for the Head of Upper School, collecting reliable information to assist him in returning calls, or referring calls to more appropriate staff members.
- Attend meetings as needed with the Head of Upper School; take and prepare minutes and monitor action items.
- Schedule individual routine meetings with Head of Upper School’s direct reports, individual faculty and staff meetings as requested, student meetings, parent meetings as requested, and meetings with guests.
- Take great care to maintain and protect the confidentiality of the Head of Upper School’s Office and student files.
- Serve as Registrar, providing prompt replies to transcript requests. Maintain careful files and verify transcript requests.
- Assist by arranging special events on campus including Mini School, Final Assembly, and Commencement.
- Oversee the administration of standardized testing, including SAT and ACT.
- Perform routine office work including filing and restocking and other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- The ability to present information clearly to students, parents, and school administrators in writing and orally.
- An open, collaborative work style and the initiative to identify needs and implement plans to meet them
- A positive outlook, a sense of humor, and a professional presence that is personable, genuine, and welcoming
- Discretion and the ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters appropriately
- Proficient computer skills and fluency; facility with Outlook, MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Facility with Google Suite. Facility working with databases.
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to multi-task effectively while working in a highly organized fashion – detail-oriented, flexible, unflappable, and energetic.
- Experience managing a budget.
- A high level of integrity and a strong work ethic.
- Successful completion of a criminal records background investigation.
Qualified applicants should visit our website to complete an online application including a letter of interest and resume, www.smtexas.org.