Rooted in the guiding principles of President George W. Bush and Mrs. Laura Bush, the George W. Bush Presidential Center engages communities in the United States and around the world by cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. The Bush Center is home to the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, which is operated by the National Archives and Records Administration, and the George W. Bush Institute, the non-partisan, public-policy arm of the Bush Center. The Bush Center is located on the campus of SMU in Dallas, Texas, and also includes a 15-acre park, a full-service restaurant, Café 43, and a museum store.
Housed within the George W. Bush Presidential Center, the George W. Bush Institute is an action-oriented, nonpartisan policy organization with the mission of cultivating leaders and advancing policies to solve today’s most pressing challenges. It raises current and thought-provoking issues and builds programs to address the challenges facing our nation and our world. The work of the Bush Institute is inspired by the principles that guided the Bushes in public life: education is the foundation of a successful life; freedom is a universal human desire; free enterprise is the engine of economic prosperity; and every human life is precious.
The assistant will provide daily administrative support for the Director of the Military Service Initiative and program support for the Military Service Initiative team. Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Successfully balance administrative support for their principal.
- Plan and coordinate meetings, including draft agendas, invite attendees, prepare read-ahead materials, and circulate key takeaways.
- Provide primary support for the Military Service Initiative team meetings, including tracking action items and follow-up.
- Coordinate and administer special projects, including administrative processes, improvement efforts, etc.
- Coordinate foreign and domestic travel.
- Process expense reports and invoices.
- Assist with special event planning and logistics.
- Support external communications and relationship management with program partners and other key constituents.
- Integrate efforts with the administrative leads in all other parts of the Bush Center.
- Manage office supplies.
- Perform general office duties and other tasks as necessary.
The qualified candidate will possess (a/an):
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One to two years of administrative experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- Demonstrable successful track record in a fast-paced organization.
- An interest in and affiliation for the policy and programmatic work of the Bush Institute, particularly the Military Service Initiative.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the Bush Center.
Additionally, the qualified candidate will:
- Exemplify courtesy and professionalism.
- Possess strong organizational skills, attention to detail and follow up.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Show the ability to multi-process and balance demands of multiple priorities; manage ongoing projects, including tracking and reporting results.
- Be able to maintain regular, dependable attendance at the office.
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple time zones and fluctuating schedules.
- Operate with a make-it happen spirit, collaborative style and possess the ability to thrive in a team-based environment; be able to work on a small team where no job is too big or too small.
- Show passion and commitment to military service members, veterans, and their families.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit stationary at a desk and use computer equipment.
Position: Assistant, Military Service Initiative
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director, Military Service Initiative
Division: Military Service Initiative
To apply, please go to the website, www.bushcenter.org, and click on "About" at the bottom of the page. Then click on "Careers". You will be redirected to our employment site, where you can submit an online application to the position.