• Management of 2 Alumni Board
• Management of Young Alumni Board and Dallas Young Alumni committee
• Management of 1,500+ volunteers through the official Alumni Volunteer Program
The Assistant Director is responsible for identifying, recruiting, managing, retaining and stewardship of volunteers, managing projects, communications & events associated with these programs. Working with the Director and colleagues, the Assistant Director will assist in developing and executing programs, as well as managing the programs’ budget, to achieve the goal of building alumni engagement levels that will inspire financial support for the University.
- Identify, recruit, and manage 1,500+ alumni volunteers, working to expand volunteer participants and broaden purpose. Maintain volunteer lists and hold regular meetings/conference calls to communicate SMU priorities, plan aligned activities, and share best practices. Create training handbook and welcome guide. Conduct alumni training, plan calendar and facilitate contact sprints.
Management of Admission, Career and Hilltop Volunteer programs. Admissions management involves recruitment, stewardship, training, coordination, and retention of alumni and parents who assist with SMU recruitment efforts. Liaises with Office of Undergraduate Admission. Career management involves training, and coordination with the Hegi Family Career Center to provide career enrichment opportunities
- Collaborates with colleagues in various schools and units to build cross-campus relationships and advance the priorities and objectives of schools, units, affinity groups, chapters and volunteer programs. Liaises with all campus alumni relations professionals, fundraisers and school and Units as well as student affairs, admissions etc. Work with Annual Giving to execute campaigns (Giving Day)
- Develop & execute plan of action for each program & manage annual budget, regularly monitoring progress toward goals. Oversee expenses and revenue for all programs and ensure that all financial accounting, reimbursement requests and credit card statements are reconciled on a monthly and annual basis in coordination with team staff support. Volunteer for DEA and alumni events as needed.
- Steward volunteers through recognition at events, inclusion in all communications, and sincere notes of appreciation. Plan, implement, and follow-up on communication and logistics regarding the Alumni Board and Young Alumni Board meetings and subcommittee meetings (when applicable).
- Position may require weekend or evening work to accommodate volunteer and event needs
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree is required.
A minimum of two years of work experience is required. Experience managing and/or working with volunteers or as a volunteer is required.
Experience in project management is required. Experience managing event logistics is required. Knowledge of SMU traditions and culture a plus. Knowledge of selective, private higher education landscape is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal communications skills to communicate effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing. A strong customer service orientation is essential.
Candidate must possess strong problem solving skills with the ability to be resourceful, proactive and seek assistance as needed. The ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team is essential.
Candidate must possess strong organizational, planning and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks with a strong focus on attention to detail.
Strong project management skills are essential. Candidates must have a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Some social media or web design experience is preferred. Working knowledge of CRM (especially Blackbaud Enterprise) is a plus.
For full consideration candidate must include a cover letter detailing volunteer and/or work experience that matches the stated requirements.
- Sit for long periods of time
- Walk for long distances
- Drive motorized equipment.
Deadline to Apply:
May 3, 2019