Position Title: Accounting Manager
Date Modified: November 2, 2021
FLSA Classification: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
About St. John’s
St. John’s is an independent, coeducational Episcopal school serving up to 500 students in Primary School through eighth grade. Located in a park-like setting on 10 acres in East Dallas, the School offers its employees and students a supportive esprit de corps fueled by a common mission – one dedicated to a program of academic excellence designed to train the mind, strengthen the character, and enrich the spirit of each student in a Christian environment. We think of St. John’s not only as a school, but also as a very special kind of community. We seek to employ people who – regardless of the role they play in the School – understand that they impact the lives of our students, families, and colleagues. The St. John’s Code calls us to model honesty and respectfulness in our relationships, responsibility in the performance of our assignments, and a caring attitude that extends to all members of our community. Do you dream of becoming the best educator you can? Of coming to work each day with a sense of mastery, belonging, and purpose? Of working with fun, collegial, collaborative, growth-minded professionals? If so, you could thrive at St. John’s.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the month end close process including preparing journal entries, rollforwards, reconciliations, and variance analyses.
- Maintain all accounts and ledgers ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards.
- Post monthly recurring journal entries including importing subledger activity, cash, investments, tuition, payroll, contributions, online sales, fixed assets, and any other journal entries needed to ensure the accuracy of the financial statements.
- Maintain accurate and appropriate general ledger chart of accounts.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate coding and approval of all revenue, expenditure, and journal transactions to their appropriate accounts, including unrestricted, temporarily restricted, and permanently restricted funds.
- Prepare and maintain monthly close supporting documentation including reconciliations and rollforwards for all balance sheet accounts.
- Coordinate with and assist accounts payable, payroll, and student billing personnel.
- Cross-train on finance functions including treasury, accounts payable, budgeting, accounts receivable, and student billing.
- Ensure accurate and timely financial information and reporting.
- Assist CFO with analysis of financial results to identify, explain, and correct variances as needed.
- Assist the CFO in preparation and monitoring of monthly departmental budget reports and forecasts, working with administrators and department chairs regarding budget performance.
- Communicate accounting policies to employees and ensure compliance with such policies.
- Perform annual 1099 reporting.
- Lead the preparation of reports and documentation for the annual financial statement audit as well as assist in the annual IRS Form 990 for endowments.
Surveys and Peer Reporting:
- Assist in periodic surveys and compliance reports for various school industry organizations (e.g. NAIS, ISAS, NBOA, ), as well as other internal and external information requests for financial data.
- Remain aware and current of private school industry trends and activities.
- Fulfills other duties as assigned, including but not limited to lunch, recess, and carpool duty.
- Participates fully in the School community.
- Demonstrate commitment to personal and professional growth.
- Ability to meaningfully receive, reflect on, and apply feedback to one’s professional growth.
- Network with peers at other independent and Episcopal schools locally and nationally.
- Attend conferences and professional meetings to remain current on best practices in school camp programs and auxiliary revenue opportunities.
- Model the St. John’s Code of respect, responsibility, honesty, and care.
Qualifications – Education, Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting with a minimum 5-7 years of experience, ideally in non-profit accounting.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Keen analytical skills.
- Detail-oriented work style.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proficiency with Excel, Office, and other computerized accounting systems is required (experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge highly beneficial).
- Ability to work collaboratively with coworkers and School community members.
- Highest regard for confidentiality and exemplary ethical standards is necessary.
- All prospective employees must be able to clear a background check.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Regularly works in standard office conditions and climate, occasionally works outdoors.
- Regularly works at a computer screen for extended periods of time and occasionally moves around campus.
- Ability to lift items weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly works in a dynamic environment, effectively dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions.
- Ability to periodically work flexible hours to meet deadlines and support before and after-school or weekend events.
How to Apply
For questions, more information, or to submit your letter of interest and resume in PDF format, please contact:
Mrs. Chris Patterson, Chief of Staff
In our commitment to diversity and equity, St. John’s Episcopal School does not discriminate regarding race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, age, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, marital status, religion, military status, and/or any protected category. This commitment extends to our employment, educational, admission, and financial-aid policies, and other school-administered programs.